Job Title: Vivarium Supervisor
Department: East Coast Operations
Reports To: Director of East Coast Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Summary: The Vivarium Supervisor manages all operational aspects of the Explora vivarium facility including personnel, training, regulatory compliance, facility cleanliness and organization, customer relations, supply levels, animal health, and work schedules.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Understands and ensures staff and facility users follow all Standard Operating Procedures and Policies.
- Develops and fosters effective teamwork with husbandry staff, veterinary staff, and management team.
- Sets and clarifies goals for staff members; prioritizes and coordinates work schedules.
- Uses imagination and creativity when seeking solutions to problems, considers the potential impact on other areas of the program.
- Maintains and fosters good working relationships with clients on a daily basis.
- Works with clients to provide resolutions to operational issues/concerns in a timely manner.
- Reports all animal and personnel issues and concerns to the appropriate chain of command.
- Assists with training of personnel and other animal users.
- Assists with quality assurance reviews of the facility.
- Author and review program SOPs.
- Interviews potential applicants for open positions.
- Creates and provides reporting for weekly and monthly project status.
- Conducts disciplinary sessions.
- Conducts performance reviews.
- Communicates animal health issues with veterinarians and alerts them to emergencies.
- Manages the sentinel testing program and the sanitation quality assurance program.
- Assists in preparation for regulatory and routine facility inspections.
- Maintains high standards of vivarium cleanliness and organization.
- Provides new client facility tours and orientations.
- Performs technical and husbandry tasks as needed.
- Must be able to lift a maximum of 50lbs; bend, stoop, climb, and stand for a prolonged period.
- Leads by example in ways that exceed the expectation of the staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following.
- Achievement Focus – Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles. Measures self against standard of excellence. Recognizes and acts on opportunities. Sets and achieves challenging goals. Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Business Acumen – Aligns work with strategic goals. Conducts cost-benefit analyses. Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition. Displays orientation to profitability. Understands business implications of decisions.
- Business Ethics – Inspires the trust of others. Keeps commitments. Treats people with respect. Upholds organizational values. Works with integrity and ethically.
- Managing Customer Focus – Develops new approaches to meeting customer needs. Establishes customer service standards. Monitors customer satisfaction. Promotes customer focus. Provides training in customer service delivery.
- Strategic Thinking – Adapts strategy to changing conditions. Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals. Identifies external threats and opportunities. Understands the organization’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Visionary Leadership – Acts in accordance with vision. Communicates vision and gains commitment. Creates a clear, compelling vision. Displays passion and optimism. Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university or equivalent experience and at least 5 years of experience working in an animal facility, including some supervisory experience.
Read, analyze, and interpret business, professional, technical, or governmental documents. Write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Effectively present information and respond to questions from managers and customers.
Add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Perform dose calculations based on veterinarian instructions.
Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
MS Office, G Suite, e-mail
Certificates and Licenses:
Certified by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) as a Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG) or required within 6 months of placement into the role.
Supervisory Responsibilities: The individual is responsible for hiring and disciplining staff members, prioritizing and coordinating work schedules, and establishing goals and conducting performance reviews for staff members.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and peripheral vision. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com