Website The Forsyth Institute
The Forsyth Institute
Over one hundred years ago, the Forsyth Institute was founded to provide free dental care to Boston’s poorest children. Today, Forsyth is the only independent research institute in the United States specializing in oral health and its impact on overall wellness, including an on-site clinical practice, clinical trials, ForsythKids school program, and a convener for oral health and biotech experts. In addition to being the only affiliate of the Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Forsyth’s researchers’ partner with an array of academic institutions, hospitals, independent research institutes, and biotech and pharmaceutical companies to remain at the forefront of oral health discovery. To learn more about the Forsyth Institute, visit www.forsyth.org
Forsyth, an independent not-for-profit research organization, is located in the Kendall Square area of Cambridge, an epicenter of biotechnology. This area is also known for its numerous eclectic restaurants, shopping at the Galleria Mall, and beautiful walking paths along the Charles River.
The Forsyth Institute currently has a full-time job opening for an Animal Technician. Responsibilities include:
· Animal care and animal husbandry functions under the supervision of senior staff.
· Daily duties related to animal health, observations, cage check and change, feeding and other essential duties.
· Cage cleaning, cage wash use, preparation of clean cages and autoclaving. Setting it in animal rooms.
· Recording inventory, any ill health observations, overcrowding and deaths. Inform investigators.
· Monitoring and recording temperature, humidity and maintaining rodents and other species in a research setting.
· Keeping track of the stock of chemicals and disinfectants that are routinely used.
· Familiarity with different animal species, their behavior, other social interactions as per the guidelines put forward by IACUC, following the principles outlined in the “Guide”.
· Familiarity with regulations/guidelines and IACUC policies to ensure animals are humanely handled with appropriate care.
· Receiving rodents, establishing new cages with cage cards. Protocol number record is a must.
· Understanding the studies in BSL 1 and BSL 2 and appropriate handling.
· Following standard operating procedures and all biosafety and animal welfare regulations.
· Maintaining supply of PPE items, timely notification to obtain new supplies.
· Interaction with Senior Animal Facility staff, investigators and support staff.
· Willingness to be trained in additional scope of work. Such as Germ Free set up and care.
· Prior experience working with lab animals is preferred.
· Education/prior training – High school diploma.
· Quick learner; able to grasp new concepts and apply them.
· Ability to follow assigned duties.
· Report all observations to the Senior Staff of the Animal Facility.
· Keep track of the daily, weekly, and monthly duties.
· Interaction with all research and support staff.
· Weekend and holiday work will be required.
Forsyth values diversity among its faculty, is committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities. Supporting the work-life balance of our employees is a priority.
To Apply Contact syoganathan@forsyth or apply here
Forsyth provides competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program. Qualified and interested applicants are encouraged to apply for immediate consideration.
The Forsyth Institute is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org