Nominations open for the Levenson Award for Outstanding IACUC Non-Affiliate Member
January 5 @ 8:00 am - May 2 @ 5:00 pm
The Rabbi Paul H. Levenson Award for Outstanding IACUC Service by a Non-Affiliated Member recognizes a volunteer who helps to define and execute the vision of his or her IACUC and is committed to the best possible animal welfare program within his or her institution. The award is named for Rabbi Paul H. Levenson, who served for more than 24 years as an exemplary non-affiliate member of two IACUCs in New England. Rabbi Levenson was the inaugural recipient of the award.
Note: starting this year (2017), nominations will be restricted to IACUCs of MSMR member organizations.
The nominated non-affiliated member:
- Attends all IACUC meetings and if, for a compelling reason cannot attend, he or she keeps the IACUC office fully informed
- Willingly participates in and is fully engaged in all IACUC meetings and comes fully prepared to each meeting
- Demonstrates great personal and professional commitment to the IACUC
- Displays outstanding volunteer qualities: is proactive and positive and is able to make difficult decisions
- Takes part in learning opportunities both within and outside the institution that will improve his or her knowledge of IACUCs, biomedical research and education with animals, and the non-affiliated member’s role
- Has completed a minimum of two full years of service including active participation in at least two semi-annual inspections
The nomination packet should contain the following items:
- A nomination letter outlining how the nominee fulfills the award criteria above. Specific examples demonstrating these points are very helpful as are quotations from colleagues about the nominee
- Telephone and e-mail contact details for individuals (in addition to the nominator) who can provide further first-hand information about the nominee
Nominations are due by e-mail to the MSMR office by May 2, 2017. The nominator should provide his or her complete contact information. Please write “Levenson Award Nominee” in the subject line and send the nomination letter as an attachment to this e-mail address: LevensonAward@msmr.org
The Award includes a plaque and an honorarium of $500. It is presented at the MSMR Annual Meeting of Members in June.